Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Mini Chip Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies

I was inspired to create these after seeing Naia chomping on an oatmeal raisin cookie. I do not like raisins, but I like cranberries, so I went searching for a recipe. Wouldn't you know, I found one on the back of the craisins bag. I made a few changes to better suit my needs and my pantry stock...I substituted whole wheat flour for regular flour, mini chocolate chips for white chocolate, and more baking powder, cranberries and chocolate than originally called for. Oh, and I added vanilla. I mean, really...who makes a cookie without vanilla extract? I'm giving you the recipe that I made up, not the one on the back of the bag.

2/3 cup unsalted butter, soften
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
1 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup dried cranberries
1 cup mini chocolate chips (Nestle)

Preheat oven 375°. Grease cookie sheets.

In mixer, beat butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and eggs one at a time until well mixed.

In separate bowl, combine oats, flour, baking soda and salt. Add to butter mixture in several additions, mixing well after each addition.

Slowly mix in cranberries and mini chocolate chips.

Roll dough into one inch balls. Place about 2 inches apart on cookie sheet. Gently flatten a bit with a fork.

Bake about 10 minutes. The size of the cookie will not change drastically, and it might not looked cooked on the top. If the bottoms are brown, they are DONE!

Other notes-Keep the cookies well sealed. These cookies don't seem to last many days, so either freeze some or pass them onto your friends. Ideal shelf life seems to be about 3 days.

Careful...you'll want to eat 7 instead of just one!

2 comments:

Susan said...

Vanilla also brings out the flavor of chocolate- it's always a good addition to choc anything!

Susan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.