Thursday, April 17, 2008

Chicken with Lemon and Mustard Sauce

I'll try almost anything that has mustard in it. I adore mustard. We have at least five different kinds on the door of our fridge...

This dish comes from the Everyday Food magazine (sorry, I don't know the publication month). It's one of the ones I tore out and stuck to my bulletin board. It is supposed to be served with seared radicchio, but I didn't have radicchio, and that didn't sound so fabulous to me anyway. Later I realized I could have served it over seared romaine, which I did have. Too late. I'll record what I did, then add what I think could have happened with the romaine for future reference.

2 TBS all purpose flour
coarse salt and ground pepper
1 1/2 pounds chicken cutlets (I used 1 lb of breasts and cut them into strips)
1 TBS olive oil
2 TBS dijon mustard (I used Grey Poupon)
2 TBS capers, drained and rinsed
2 TBS fresh lemon juice (I used 1 TBS fresh and 1 TBS bottled)
2 TBS butter, cold, cubed

1. Season flour with salt and pepper (either in shallow bowl or plastic bag. I use left over produce bags). Dredge chicken in flour mixture, shaking off excess flour.

2. In large skillet (I used my cast iron pan), heat oil over medium-high heat. Add half the cutlets; cook until lightly browned and cooked through. Transfer chicken to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm. Cook remaining cutlets and add to plate. Set aside.

3. Add 3/4 cup water to skillet; boil over medium-high until liquid is reduced to 1/2 cup, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and whisk in mustard, capers, lemon juice, and any accumulated juices on the plate from the chicken. Add butter and whisk until creamy, about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper.

4. Serve chicken drizzled with sauce.

The sauce was a nicely tangy. It was plenty for one pound of chicken, but I would have wanted more if I served it with rice or over the seared lettuce.

The girls didn't like the sauce, but because you drizzled it on, I had some plain chicken left for them. They gladly ate that.

I learned that you should keep the sauce warm if you are not serving it right away. It was still tasty, but not as wonderful as if it had still been warm.

So, my thought with the lettuce-I think you could sear romaine heads that have been cut in half lengthwise. You'd want one half per serving, so 2 heads of romaine should be good for this amount of food.

This dish would serve 4 with no leftovers.

I would make this again, possibly trying to serve it over the romaine.

No comments: