Sunday, April 20, 2008

Farm Box Goodies

This week I starting receiving a farm box. It's a box of fresh, just-picked, seasonal veggies from a local (semi-local) farm. Each Saturday morning they get delivered to a house in town and we go pick them up. A friend and I are splitting the box each week while we try it out. I didn't want to be getting all these fabulous vegetables and throwing some out due to my family's inability to consume them all. It's not like the girls are going to eat much of them. My friend is in a similar situation, so we'll be sharing the bounty for the time being. What makes the whole thing really exciting (or worrisome) is that you really aren't sure until the day before your delivery what will be in the box. That's how "just-picked" they are...

Our first week brought us chard, fava beans, radishes, turnips, leeks, fresh sage, salad greens and asparagus. I've already cooked the chard (sauteed with a little olive oil, sliced garlic, pinch of red pepper flakes and some chopped bacon to top it off). I know the salad greens and asparagus will not be a problem. I think I can handle the leeks and radishes, but what I really am not sure what to do with is the turnips and the fava beans. In fact, I don't think I've ever eaten turnips or fava beans before. I've looked on-line at a number of recipes and while some look quite tasty, I just haven't decided what to do yet.

Any suggestions? Come on...someone must have a terrific recipe for these things. Help me out here.

I'll keep you posted.

3 comments:

Susan said...

I've always wanted to do this. We wanted to try it here in PA but we were always gone for a significant part of the harvesting. A lot of these farms have specialty items and stick to organic practices. Plus it's a great way to eat fresh while supporting your local farmers. Can't wait to hear how you like it!

Shawna Barlette said...

Turnips are wonderful in stews.

Angie said...

I've had turnips, but never outside of a fall stew or something a bit too hot for the upcoming spring/summer weather. And fava beans - hmmm I've never had favas before! BUT - I'm a huge fan of www.recipezaar.com Maybe they have something for ya