Sunday, May 11, 2008

Tortilla Soup in the Crock Pot

Angie's comment about everything she makes in the crock pot all tasting the same made me want to share with you my tortilla soup recipe. It is definitely one of our favorite meals. I got this originally from Shauna about two years ago and since then, I probably make it every other week in the colder months, and not quite as often in the warmer times. It is SOOO easy, and SOOO tasty, that I always have the fixins for it in my pantry.

The basic recipe...
1 28oz can diced tomatoes, with juice
2 cups chicken broth
1 can black beans, drained (or any beans you like)
1 can corn, drained (or frozen corn)
1-3 small cans of diced green chiles, depending on your taste (I usually use 2 is I have them)
2 or 3 chicken breasts (you can put them right in there FROZEN!)
1 small onion, diced and sauteed
salt, pepper and cumin (add as much as pleases you)

Other items you can add during cooking...
sliced carrots
sliced celery

Optional Toppings
chips
cheese
avocado
cilantro
sour cream
olives

Instructions...throw everything in the pot and cook on low for 5 to 7 hours!
Put chicken breasts WHOLE in crock pot, thawed or frozen, and cover with diced tomatoes (with their juices), chicken broth, chiles, and drained corn and beans. Season with salt, pepper and cumin.

If you've already sauteed the onions, you can add them now, but I usually forget and add them closer to the end. You would also add any other veggies you are putting in now.

Seriously, that's it. When you can easily shred the chicken with a fork, it's done. Top with all your favorite things.

I find a add a bunch of salt to this at the end, so don't be shy with that seasoning.

I've tried cooking it on high when I'm short on time. That works, too, but occassionally the chicken is not quite as moist. Same thing...it's done when the chicken is easily shreddable.

Best part...one of my children actually eats it!

1 comment:

Angie said...

This sounds great! I doubt either of my boys would eat it -- but that just means I can add spice and whatever veggies I want.

I'm going to give it a try.