Saturday, May 10, 2008

Disappointing Crock Pot Recipe

I've been trying to find good crock pot recipes that do not include cream of mushroom soup (or chicken, or celery) in their list of ingredients. I found a crock pot recipe for Soy Ginger Chicken one of my old editions of Everyday Food. I was so excited to try it! It looked very promising-lots of fresh ginger and garlic, soy sauce, brown sugar, fresh cilantro, and a touch of balsamic vinegar. Rich dark meat simmering for hours in the tasty marinade...

Yea, not so much. It was bland. And not interesting. And boring. And any other adjective you can come up for "not worth making this again."

But the combination of ingredients has such potential. I will eventually try again (because I'm a sucker like that). Next time I think I'll cook it for less time and add some chili garlic and more sugar. And no carrots.

I'll let you know what I come up with.

1 comment:

Angie said...

I have some very mixed feelings about the old crockpot. I find that everything (aside from salsa chicken) tastes the same. I also don't much care for the consistency the chicken takes on when cooked in the crockpot.

Maybe I should bust out one of the cookbooks I have for this kitchen appliance.